Friday, August 22, 2008

The Erie Canal - First few days








This is Erin. Hey everyone reading this we have had a great time on the Erie Canal. It is really neat. It is very small compared to the lakes. It is only 90 feet across and 300 miles long. On each side of the canal there is a tow path where the horses would pull the barges. (That was a long time ago.)

The canal was built in 1825 and it was all hand dug. Horses would pull the barges down the canal on now what are tow paths. People back then figured that it was easier to ship things then to send it by train. The train owners did not like that so they built a rail way bridge. instead of having the frame on the top of the bridge it was on the bottom.. So the barges carrying big loads could not get through. The railroad bridge looked really neat. You can see it in the picture above.
Hey there again long time no see! This is another post from Geneva! :
We are in the canal and let me tell you it’s not like the North Channel, everything is mucky. But on the bright side I got to go down my very first lock and take a cave tour of an old underground factory. Did you know that back then it took the Canal to be built around 8 years? That to make the huge caves of factories each time they only blew a basketball hole in the wall and did that over and over again? Well that’s not the job for me because my middle name is not patient. In the cave, I got cave kissed!!!! That is when the cave drips on you. Wow, I must have a lot of luck! On the tour of the lock and the cave there was an upside down bridge. The reason for this is because the train industry was losing lots of business to the canal shipping and needed a plan. The upside down bridge would not let any big shipping boats around causing everyone running back to the train industries arms! Wow even back then they were clever! Well that was my favorite thing and I will be writing more of my ingenious words so stay updated!!!!

11 comments:

Ryan said...

Hey guys, I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trip on your blog! It seems like you've been having a pretty good time so far!! Have fun on your trip down to the Bahamas. Maybe I'll get a chance to come and visit!! Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to reading more of your adventures!!

Your cousin,

Ryan

Anonymous said...

HEY GUYS! Looks like you guys are having loads of fun! I love the pictures I liked the flowers and that one waterfall and oh yeah the ripstic! Oh, and why does the ripstic have pink duct tape on it?

Katie!!!!

Anonymous said...

SWEET. period. Mrs. Sandridge, the pics are amazing and it looks like you guys are having a lot of fun already - and you still have what, a year or like 10 months left? I don't remember. The cave you were in looks more like a pipe, or if you were in a pipe, it looked like a cave - I couldn't tell. LOL. Now from those pictures, just take all of Jim's group and put them down there....
Anyway, I'll probably think of more to say later, as I have to go and do last minute things for skool. CANNOT BELIEVE IT'S TIME ALREADY. 8West if you were wondering.
Also another thing that's funny. (It's for Erin.) The STRS sent out the email with the group move ups and even though you guys aren't gonna be there this season, they moved Erin up into Age group middle school. (I don't know if they sent it to you guys cause you're on the mailing list) So I guess that's what you'll be in when you get back. I just found that kinda funny - don't know if you would. (Sorry Geneva, nothing for you in that email.) :(

Already missing you guys, (and it's only been 9 days since I last saw you),
-Halle
P.s. try bloggin on this also and respond to Katie's comments and mine if you can - we might be able to "talk" like that more-kinda.....

LYBLAS (the b stands for "both")

nancy veto said...

Hey you All! I didn't realize you were already past the Erie Canal and making it farther east. I know Fairport. We lived in Pittsford NY till Anna was 1 1/2 years old. We used to take walks and ride our bikes along the towpath. The best was getting ice cream from the shop coming off the boat. There are also some good reataurants along the canal. What I never knew was that there is an Underground railroad underneath the canal. I knew about the underground railroad movement for the slaves but not as a commercial effort...did I read the correctly? Anyway, I just think you guys are having the blast of your life.

dcnicmat said...

Erin and Genva, sounds like you are having a great time. I especially enjoy the history lessons. It is interesting to hear about the little towns and what you are seeing. Keep up the good work. The pictures are great. Happy real birthday to Erin, how does 13 feel? Try to stay out of trouble and be careful. Love Aunt Carol

asanduskapiggiesdad said...

Hey kids! Awesome pictures of your journey down the Erie Canal. I love the murals on the bridges, especially the one that it looks like your dad walked out of.

Do you think your markings on the lock walls will still be there when you come back?

It looks like you're getting a lot a time on the RipStik, but, like Katie, I'm curious as to the tape. If the RipStik needed mending, what happened to the person who was riding it? Also, I hope you guys are making sure there is a hospital nearby when you let your dad use it.

I was glad to see Quzie show up in the last set of pictures, I was beginning to worry about her. But where's George?

How is school going? Did you get a good team? :-) Did you end up getting Mr. Mean or Dr. Evil? Aren't you supposed to be updating the blog as part of your schoolwork? We expect updates more than once every few weeks!!


Cheers,
MP

Unknown said...

It took me awhile to get through all of the pics, they are awesome. The canal is a neat place loaded with history. I wish I was with you guys. Keep the pics and progress on your trip coming it makes me feel that I am with you. Hope to see you soon

Uncle Larry

BLRownsU said...

We hope that hurricane Hanna doesn't bother you too much...it is due in New Bern tomorrow evening....we are all prepared on the boat and in the house. Brendon and Mark are a great help getting things ready. We had a short training session on charts and navigation this afternoon, ....it seems that Mark learned a a lot on the trip through Erie but still remarked that it is harder than it looks. It's nice to look at SPOT and follow your progress. Enjoy the trip down to Fairfield Harbor....we look forward to seeing all of you. (actually granddad)

Anonymous said...

Hey!! I finally get to see
your blog(the computer crashed twice this week!!)! I have 3 classes with Anna Wong (WASHINGTON!!). I miss you soooooo much! Solon isn't the same without you. You shall recieve an email soon containing top secret stuff. Abbey and Margaux say hi. Chat to ya later!!
Kara B.
P.S. Careful for those yucky huricanes! Also please change your voicemail!! It's driving me CRAZY!!!

Anonymous said...

HI HALLE!!
moohahahaha,
Kara

Anonymous said...

hey its deanna

i hope you guys are having fun(take me with you) lol. Have fun when you get down to the Bahamas. i love your pictures there nice.
be safe.

from your british friend Deanna